Capalaba State School opened on Mt Cotton Road on 5 July, 1880 with 22 pupils and one teacher. The school grew rapidly and in 1884 there was an average attendance of 43. During this time, Capalaba supported a flourishing timber industry which later declined resulting in families leaving the district and the school was closed in 1922.
Local support forced the reopening of the school in 1923. Mr Tom McGrath was appointed Headmaster in 1925 remaining at the school for 27 years. In 1959, the school moved to its present site and continued to grow reaching 338 students in 1970.
Capalaba State High School, situated on 13.6 hectares of land in School Road, opened its doors to 189 Year 8 students in 1978. There were 11 teachers including the first Principal, Mr Tony Marsland. The school was built to meet the needs of booming residential developments in the Redland Shire. Capalaba State High School was officially opened on 20 October, 1979, by the Minister for Education, Mr V. J. Bird.
In 2005, Capalaba State School amalgamated with Capalaba State High School to form Capalaba State College. The College opened on 24th January 2005 with an enrolment of over 1000 students.